Countdown to My Next Trips!


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Monday, July 14, 2008

Happy Bastille Day

Craving French food on Bastille Day (July 14th) is apparently not that uncommon. I figured I'd ring-in the French holiday last Monday with lunch at Pascals. I wasn't alone. The line was longer than usual, with people sampling all of Pascals' savory French fare in the display case, and one man came just for the fruit salad and a Lorina sparkling limonade.

As I dined al fresco on the patio with my proscuitto panini and iced tea, I couldn't help but look around and smile at my surroundings. A sunny sky, a gentle breeze, and French food. What more could anyone ask for?

If you've never been to Pascals, you should know there are two sides: a casual deli-style place for lunch, and a more upscale sit-down restaurant for dinner. I've only dined at Pascals for lunch, as it's close to my work and I haven't found a better spot to grab a quick bite of
alimentaire française in the area. But I would like to try their dinner restaurant, as French 75 is a bit too generic for my taste. I can only dine amidst so much red velvet before I start to get dizzy.

A few items worth noting at Pascals are the hot and cold panini sandwiches (note that the hot paninis do take awhile), the soup du jour, their quiches, and anything from the deli case (assorted cold salads, couscous,
pâté
, and the like). The desserts look exquisite, but I've managed to avoid hauling back their cakes and cookies at lunch. I have sampled a croissant, though, and it was divine.

You'll find Pascals on Bristol where it runs along the 73 Freeway. If you love French food (or it's a French national holiday, and you're looking for an excuse), make your way to this charming restaurant. The woman behind the counter will have you responding with "merci" as she rings you up and chats in her truly enchanting accent.

Pascals
1000 Bristol St N # 11
Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949) 261-9041