Countdown to My Next Trips!


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Restaurant Review: Old Vine Cafe- Costa Mesa

I wonder if I'll ever stop going to Old Vine Cafe? There are so many reasons to go back. From the incredibly un-Orange County setting in The Camp, to the brilliantly designed and executed menu, Old Vine certainly has taste. It helps too that I accrue United airline miles every time I dine there, but that's not what keeps me coming back for more.

It's their amazing taste. I've tried two of their paninis with mixed greens: delicious. My iced tea glass never even gets close to empty: love that. And despite going there on a weekend for breakfast, I couldn't wrangle my attention away from the porcini mushroom mac and cheese. So, perhaps therein lies the reason to go back: to actually taste the breakfast (it is, after all, served until 3pm).

Upon arriving at Old Vine the first time, we were charmed by their interesting menu aesthetics. Paper menus attached to painted canvases are distributed on thin metal tables, or they're dropped on thick wooden tables outside that are flanked by redwood trees. I repeat: this setting is entirely un-Orange County. Aesthetics seem to be the name of the game at Old Vine-- from the properly presented dishes (try the prosciutto-wrapped artichoke halves), to the wine bottle chandelier, the proof is in the details. Here, waiters forgo a tablet and pen when taking orders, and instead, commit your dish-wish to memory before serving it on chunky white stoneware.

I'm looking forward to meeting up at Old Vine for dinner next...it's time to rack up some more airline miles, and their tasting menus (with or without wine pairings) look divine online. From our past experiences at Old Vine, I'd say they'll look just as charming in person. And their taste? Well, that speaks for itself.

Old Vine Cafe
2937 Bristol St. Suite A-102 (Located in The Camp)
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

714-545-1411
www.oldvinecafe.com


Breakfast- Tues thru Sun 8:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Lunch- Daily 11:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Dinner- Tues thru Sat 5:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. (
Reservations Highly Recommended for Dinner)