Countdown to My Next Trips!


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy St. Sushi Day

I have to say that I was pretty impressed with Kura Sushi on 17th Street. Two of my friends and I decided to try it on St. Patrick's Day, trading in the normal overcrowded Newport Beach bars and green-beer experience for a conveyor belt full of sushi instead.

The assortment of options was really great, and catered to our three different palettes nicely. I appreciated how the options (and there were many) were identified on cards as the selections rolled by. I've been to other revolving sushi bars before (in Munich, LA, Mission Viejo & Laguna Niguel), and the "What am I eating?" part was always left to the imagination. Not the case at Kura Sushi. Here, they take it a step further and identify the ingredients in the rolls too, which I can absolutely appreciate. And there was tons of stuff to choose from too, unlike other revolving places I've been to before. It's also really nice that the sushi belt circumnavigates the entire restaurant, instead of just the sushi bar. We were able to sit in a booth and talk (I hate horizontal sushi bar conversations) and still participate in selecting what we wanted as it circled around us.


The service was prompt, it was very affordable ($13 each with a beer), but the decor could use some freshening (i.e. the duct-taped booth I was sitting in). Like other restaurants, they price the sushi by colored plates, and they come and add it all up at the end. All in all, this was a great experience, and one that we all agreed could be fun (and dangerous on the wallet) after downing a few too many Kirins and recklessly shopping the sushi as it rolls by.

Kura Sushi
212 E 17th Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92627

(949) 631-3200